Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Need a Book We Don't Have?
Physics & Optical Engineering Call Numbers: Dewey Decimal & Library of Congress
530 – Physics - QC1-999 - QA1-939
620s – Engineering General - TA1-2040
621.36 - Optical Engineering - TA1501-1820
Astronomers' Observing Guides
Astronomers' Observing Guides by This is a series of Springer e-books for amateur astronomers, each book dealing with either a specific object (e.g. a major planet, the Orion nebula), or class of object (e.g., binary stars).
Library Catalog (Intranet) Library catalog of Rose-Hulman via Intranet.
ProQuest (eBrary) eBook Central ProQuest provides an intuitive eBook system that allows access to academic eBooks in all major disciplines. Books can be downloaded to specific eReaders like Kindles and Nooks, and tablets like the iPad and Android based devices.
Electronic Book Collections
AccessEngineering An engineering reference tool that provides seamless access to a collection of critical and, regularly updated engineering reference information, most notably over 650 reference and handbooks. AccessEngineering also comprises dynamic online features, such as instructional videos, interactive tables and charts, as well as personalization tools allowing users to organize crucial project information as they work.
Springer Nature eBooks and Journal Backfiles To Access subscribed content:
1. Click on a discipline in the browse by discipline box.
2. Uncheck the Include Preview-Only content box.
on the left hand side of the results screen.
NOTE: Journal Back-files available up to 1996 ONLY / eBooks available up to the 2021 publication year.
Physics Reference Books
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 100th ed. (e-book)
- Fundamentals of Mathematical Physics (Knovel online)
- Handbook of Optical Materials, 2018 (EBSCOhost)
- Handbook of Optics: Volume I - Geometrical and Physical Optics, Polarized Light, Components and Instruments, 3rd ed. (AccessEngineering)
- Handbook of Optics: Volume II - Design, Fabrication, and Testing; Sources and Detectors; Radiometry and Photometry, 3rd ed. (AccessEngineering)
- Handbook of Optics: Volume III - Vision and Vision Optics, Third Edition, 3rd ed. (AccessEngineering)
- Handbook of Optics, Volume IV - Optical Properties of Materials, Nonlinear Optics, Quantuam Optics, 3rd ed. (AccessEngineering)
- Handbook of Optics: Volume V – Atmospheric Optics, Modulators, Fiber Optics, X-Ray and Neutron Optics, 3rd ed. (AccessEngineering)
- Handbook of Physical Properties of Organic Chemicals (Ref. 547 H236o)
- Schaum's Outline of Applied Physics, 4th ed. (AccessEngineering)
- Schaum's Outline of Physics for Engineering and Science, 3rd. ed. (AccessEngineering)
- Springer Handbook of Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics (Springer)
- Springer Handbook of Condensed Mater and Materials Data (Springer)
- Springer Handbook of Lasers and Optics (Springer)
Laser Ultrasonics Techniques and Applications by The first book devoted to laser techniques in the generation and reception of ultrasonic waves in materials, Laser Ultrasonics: Techniques and Applications provides a full description of the state of the art in all fields involving both lasers and ultrasonics. This practical book focuses mainly on the possible applications of the techniques, yet theory is discussed wherever necessary. After an introduction to ultrasonics and laser technology, the book reviews acousto-optics, various acousto-optic devices, and noninterferometric optical methods of measuring ultrasonic displacements. The authors then describe opto-acoustic techniques, discussing laser interferometry, including reference-beam, velocity, and Fabry-Perot systems, and their application to ultrasonic measurement on different surfaces. The authors also detail the generation of ultrasound as a consequence of the absorption of laser light in material. The book proceeds to discuss applications of laser-generated ultrasound, both by itself and in combination with laser interferometric reception to form an entirely remote and non-contact measurement and testing system. Comparisons with nonoptical techniques for ultrasonic generation and detection are made where appropriate. The book concludes with a discussion of the future developments and uses of laser techniques in ultrasonics, with particular reference to nondestructive testing.
Publication Date: 1990-01-01
Publication Date: 2007-03-05
Planets, Stars and Stellar Systems by This is volume 2 of Planets, Stars and Stellar Systems, a six-volume compendium of modern astronomical research, covering subjects of key interest to the main fields of contemporary astronomy. This volume on "Astronomical Techniques, Software, and Data" edited by Howard E. Bond presents accessible review chapters on Astronomical Photometry, Astronomical Spectroscopy, Infrared Astronomy Fundamentals, Astronomical Polarimetry: Polarized Views of Stars and Planets, Sky Surveys,Techniques of Radio Astronomy,Radio and Optical Interferometry: Basic Observing Techniques and Data Analysis, Absolute Calibration of Spectrophotometric Standard Stars,Virtual Observatories, Data Mining, and Astroinformatics, Statistical Methods for Astronomy, Numerical Techniques in Astrophysics . All chapters of the handbook were written by practicing professionals. They include sufficient background material and references to the current literature to allow readers to learn enough about a specialty within astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology to get started on their own practical research projects. In the spirit of the series Stars and Stellar Systems published by Chicago University Press in the 1960s and 1970s, each chapter of Planets, Stars and Stellar Systems can stand on its own as a fundamental review of its respective sub-discipline, and each volume can be used as a textbook or recommended reference work for advanced undergraduate or postgraduate courses. Advanced students and professional astronomers in their roles as both lecturers and researchers will welcome Planets, Stars and Stellar Systems as a comprehensive and pedagogical reference work on astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology.
Publication Date: 2013-02-27